Medical Device – M&A
Our client, a leading European Medical Device company that had developed a unique smart catheter technology, wanted Serica to map the Chinese central venous catheter market to prepare for a potential future partnership with the aim to have local access to the Chinese domestic market as well as to obtain low cost production capacity to supply other markets.
We developed specific search criteria in order to supply our customer with a short list of potentials, these criteria included:
“Must have criteria”:
- Domestic catheter production and sales
- Regulatory approval for the Chinese market
- R&D capability
- GMP facility with first class quality control
- Minimum RMB 1.6 billion (€200M) turnover
“Nice to have criteria”:
- Modern facility and experience with CE marking and FDA
- Strong competencies in bioelectronics
- Strong ties to leading Chinese medical institutions, hospitals and key opinion leaders
- Preference for public listed companies
We long listed 28 companies and performed a due diligence including factory audits resulting in a short list of 5 companies. Our customer was introduced to the management of all short listed potentials. Having chosen the two most preferred companies, jointly next steps were defined which customer is currently working on to fulfil prior to establishing a joint venture in China. These next steps involve product optimization and finalization of regulatory approval.